2/3/08

Lack of handwashing kills 100,000 per year?

After I finished laughing at the fact that there is a Hand Hygene Resource Center I laughed some more because there is actually a guy who works there. Then, after that, I didn't have very much to say about the article so I went and read some of the things that the others have posted about it. All I read was people being disgusted with doctors being forgetful. I don't think that it is honestly a big of a deal as they say it is. Sure, germs are bad but are they as dangerous as we have come to think? Do they really kill the 100,000 people that die of infections each year? All of the statistics that are thrown around in this article it would be enough to convince anybody to wash his hands but are they accurate? How exactly does one measure percentage of hygene compliance in a hospital? do they follow every doctor and nurse around the hospital for a day? Do they ask the doctors to estimate? We will never know I suppose. I am not saying that it is ok for doctors to never scrub up but is it necesary to call them arrogant? A few stats don't make an article true. I am one to fall for just about anything but this screams "I am trying to make you panic for no reason" to me. I would say think twice before becoming a hypochondriac because of this article.

2 comments:

Jennifer Woods said...

I love your take on this, and I am so happy to hear that someone thinks that doctors might have more on their minds than washing their hands (oh crap, I have to tell Mrs. Smith that she has cancer).

I also agree that the media sure does a good job of creating fear, spreading panic.

Barga said...

and the microbiologist in me wants to leap out
the statistics (as probably referenced) are from the CDC study which had cameras over sinks