5/26/08

if you build it they will come....

So I am a bit behind on the reading of Blink and I am up to my nostrils in work, so I have chosen to take another route with this post and kill two birds with one stone. My spanish teacher recently gave us an assignment for an oral presentation that we have to do before the end of the year and I have decided to let you all in on what it is that I am going to be presenting on. The assignment was to come up with one book for my teacher to read, one movie for her to watch and one "nota cultural" ("cultural point" for those of you who are spanishly disabled) and to talk a little bit about them and to convince her to watch/read what we suggest. As some of you may know about me, I have a very difficult time choosing favorite books or movies because there are just too many good ones to pick from. This has created a bit of a problem because I can't just talk about my favorite book because I don't have one. I think that what I am going to do is pick a few different kinds of books for her to think about. The first that is one of my favorites is The Tin Drum by Gunter Grass which I read first semester this year for World Literature. In all honesty it is a really creepy book but I find it to be very good for just that reason, because it extends the boundries set by common and popular literature and society itself. The book raises many diverse questions ranging from sanity to love. I would also recommend the trilogy by Toni Morrison, Beloved, Jazz and Paradise. This trilogy is straight from the list of best american fiction. I am reading Beloved now for Chris and I love the writing and the story. The only problem is that this book, along with The Tin Drum, also falls under the creepy but good catigory. I think that she will like them anyway. I have also started to see that Chris and Liz pick really good books. Anyway, Beloved is set in the few years after the civil war and follows a young woman and her hodge-podge family through their pasts and current thoughts and feelings. The story deals with many major topics but the one that I find the most interesting is the way ex-slave women were treated by men. Toni also weaves a paranormal aspect into her writing and does it in such a way that one can not tell if it is meant to be real or imagined.

I have not yet decided what movies I will talk about but I think that they will probably end up being Across the Universe, the new Beatles movie, and Atonement because it is sweet, and probably Bull Durham because it is one of the best baseball movies ever. Field of Dreams. Crap. Too many to choose from.....

3 comments:

Barga said...

Atonement or Across, field was shit and slightly disturbing

Melissa said...

please do not cuss about my movies. you will be flicked the next time i see you, fair warning.

Barga said...

we are not seeing it together