3/16/08
So I guess I am warming up to Malcolm...
I don't know what was so different about this chapter from the rest but I loved it. I think that it may have been because it wasn't so obviously tied to the point he was trying to make about epidemics but was still relevent. One of the things that I liked the most was the beginning of the second part of the chapter. It talked about the natural limits of people and dividing things into categories and how that was linked to things in real life like telephone numbers. I think the thing that I found most interesting was the social channel capasity and the transactive memory. The bigger your group the bigger your brain and the closer you are the more dependent you are on them to remember things. I never thought of this before and that makes me feel really stupid. Now that I have read this I see it all around me, my mother is one example because she remembers everything and also the N.O.S.B. team because we split up information so that we all didnt have to know everything. It happens all the time and I didnt realize it. The rule of 150 makes sense and it was something that I had realized before, the smaller your group the better you know everyone and the relationships between them. I think that this chapter was the best so far. Getting better? WOOHOO!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I guess Gladwell is finally writing about stuff we can relate to right? I mean it's nice to know that erasing graffiti can stop crime, or that things need to be "sticky" in order to stick (duh?), but this chapter finally seems to explain why things work the way they do and what relevance these ideas have to our own lives.
Post a Comment