2/13/08

I AM NORMAL!

The last section was where I got caught up. I thought and thought, racked my brain but nobody came to mind with the description of the Salesman. Mesmerizing, persuasive, optimistic, confident and energetic. While I was thinking about all of this I was also thinking about what is the most common of the three and why. I didn' t really get an answer because I think that everybody wants to think that they are one of these three. Nobody wants to say "I am a normal person. I can't persuade, I'm not smart and I don't know a lot of people." This is not too good because everybody is special, and in order for this to work we need "normal" or "average" people. That's why I am still a little skeptical: I don't want to believe I'm not important. It was because of this need of self-assurance I decided to say that I am the third type of person. I am a Salesman....Saleswoman. When you think about it it makes sense. What else could the baby of a Maven and a Connector be but a Salesman? I took this test, like the one Howard Friedman created, and it said that I am charismatic and that I influence other's emotions. I'm still not so sure of my selection because I am probably just another Jane Doe but I think that some of it might be true about me. I can be persuasive, confident and energetic but I am also smart and I love to learn just like my father and I do get acquaintances through my mother. So really what I am trying to say is that there is no real line drawn in a normal person. Each person will have a mixture of these three characteristics and if you try to cram individuals into tiny slots you lose other important qualities that they may have. In this situation I'd rather be a "normal" than any of the choices because that would mean that I got to be a truly distinct mixture of my own.

2 comments:

Miriam Hitchcock said...

I don't think that just because a person isn't any of the categories Gladwell describes, that person must be average/normal. I can say that I certainly am none of them. But do you think I'm normal?

Barga said...

the best seller is one who can sell themselves to themselves
you are not a seller