2/17/08

What the world needs now is love, sweet love

Did you know that 15% of all U.S. women send themselves flowers every year for valentine's day? I think that this holiday is crazy and useless. Why can't we just show our love everyday instead of spending $100 to show it in one night? Why do we need to be told when to say "I love you" ? Being genuine means that it comes from the heart. When Hallmark tells you to give your loved one a card I don't think that you are being that sincere if you do it. Originality is one of the best things that you can bring to a relationship and when you give someone a cookie-cutter card with some cheezy line in it to represent your love you are pretty far from original. The pressure put on people to be in a relationship or to impress your significant other on valentines is immense. This is why women send themselves flowers. They find a need to impress others and I think that isn't right or fair. I am not saying this because I have always been single on valentines day or because I just dislike everything but instead aq because I find it quite unfair. Why do we dress up for valentines day dances and send cards with words that aren't ours? Shouldn't we find meaning in a spontaneous picnic rather than a colorful piece of paper that is produced for the masses?

1 comment:

Barga said...

commercialism is everywhere. Do you complain about birthday presents (Billy Joel tickets), christmas presents (sweeny todd at the palace), or anything like that?