1/30/08
cookies 'n cream, a tribute to the intro
After reading the first pages of the introduction to The Tipping Point all I could think about was making a midnight run to Long John Silver's, but before I could grab my keys I decided to get my fix elsewhere by dishing myself up a nice bowl of cookies n' cream. Almost before I could get onto page six I had proceded to spill my dessert all over, not only myeslf, but on my book and blankets as well. For a short while I was bothered by my clumsy and very sticky stupidity but after a while my fingers became too tacky to continue without my fingers clinging to the pages. After this somewhat uncomfortable escapade that was ended my a shower I had managed to skim, but not retain any of the information I had read about the New York Crime wave. Upon rereading I realized that it was not worth reading a third time because I knew that, even then, I would not understand how "the classic American brushed-suede shoes with a lightweight crepe sole" had anything to do with Brownsville, New York in the 1980's. Frustrated, I put down my book and turned to the ever-so-comforting Vonnegut before hitting the hay. The next night, after choosing to skip my after dinner snack, I once again picked up The Tipping Point and snuggled under the freshly washed covers. Mr. Gladwell was much nicer to me this time. He finally explained what he was talking about: epidemics and their three characteristics. All was well with the yawning paragraph, I was happy because I only yawned once, and it pretty much made sense. I thought that that paragraph what effective in explaning that contagious didn't just apply to sickness or disease. His use of examples was amazing and it made reading more interesting for me because I got examples that give clear meaning to what he is trying to say. The study of high school drop out rates was not something that I found very intersting, because it was mostly statistics, but the example about the snow made everything more simple which is so much better (because I need things to be simple). As of right now I have not read the first chapter but I am excited to read what he has to say about Blue's Clues and the syphilis outbreak in Baltimore. I know that I will read the next chapter soon but I am not sure if my squabble with cookies 'n cream will be over as soon because he won't apologise. It seems that my delectable treat and I are on hiatus.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
seems to be a hidden message in here... i notice the date...
Post a Comment